Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chioggia Beet Chips

The chioggia beets (pronounced kee-oh-gee-ya) look really cool when sliced and make a yummy treat when baked!


To make the chips I cut the greens off the beets, peeled them and then sliced them in thin slices using my mandolin. Then I blanched them in water by bringing the pot of water to a boil, adding the slices and turning off the heat and letting the beet slices sit in the hot water covered for 15 minutes. Then I poured them into a colander and let them sit for another 15 minutes. Then I lightly tossed them in some olive oil and salt and laid them on a baking sheet lined with foil in a single layer closely packed in. I baked them at 275 for about an hour, when you first take them out they won't be crisp yet, they crisp up as they cool. To cool them I laid them on baking racks with paper towels on the counter underneath to catch any stray oil. 
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment